"To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one's Mother's side, is an Introduction to any state in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Above."

Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Fashion Dilemma - White Eyelet Skirt Edition


So, here's my problem. I have an old J.Crew skirt that I love. It's white eyelet lace with a thin gauzy white underskirt. It hits just below the knee, and is a lovely full/A-line skirt. However, since it's old, it's starting to yellow and get too dingy to wear. I've been looking for a replacement, but most of the white eyelet skirts I see are short, flouncy minis like the Banana Republic one in the picture up top. Some of them are cute, but not really what I'm looking for.

I've been hunting around online, but haven't found too many possible replacements. I saw this pretty skirt from Lafayette 148 at Bloomingdales.




However, it's made of linen. I like linen in the abstract, but when I wear it, I have a tendency to look like I've been sleeping in my clothes. Some people look adorably rumpled in linen. I, on the other hand, look like a moderately well-groomed vagrant.

The other skirt I saw online, which I actually like a lot, is from Garnet Hill.



I think that lace is just breathtakingly pretty. I'm seriously tempted to splurge on this skirt, but it's more formal and more lacey than what I had in mind. Eyelet can be dressed up or down, but this seems a little more dressy and it doesn't have that charming quality eyelet often does. Lilly Pulitzer sometimes has cute white dresses and skirts, but I didn't see any white eyelet skirts when I checked the website this time around.

So, if it's not too presumptuous for a new blogger to ask a favor, has anyone seen a good eyelet skirt out there? Thanks and happy Friday!

9 comments:

  1. The skirt from Bloomingdale's is cute. And have you tried washing it in Rit whitener & brightner my mother has used that on white curtains it got the yellow out.
    And I might have seen an eyelet skirt at Talbot's

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH girly....I do love white eyelet skirts too! I haven't seen any lately, but that's also because I haven't been looking...so let me get my fashion divas together and we'll see what we can come up with for you. Happy weekend!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not, my favorite white eyelet skirt is from Old Navy! Of course, it's not as nice as the ones you show above, but it's super cute for tube tops and summer casual outings. I think I'm wearing it in one of my blog posts on tube tops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Ruth - I'll have to try the Rit whitener. I tried stain remover as well as dissolving an aspirin in the wash cycle and running it through. And I'll have to check Talbots, too. I'm only 5'2", so I love that all their clothes come in petite sizes.

    @Trish - Thanks!

    @Southern Living - I may have to check that out. Old Navy does have some cute stuff. I have a black skirt with eyelet trim from there that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog through Friday Follow and I'm a new follower. I live in Virginia too!

    I'm not sure if these are quite what you're looking for, but the Seascape skirt and the Lorelei skirt from Vineyard Vines are super cute! Good luck with your search!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love eyelet skirts and dresses. I second the Talbot's suggestion. And here is one I found at Orvis, that's also on sale.
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0A88

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE eyelet - I would say splurge on that Garnet Hill one. It's fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We like all three, and can echo the Rit idea, we didn't do it but a friend did and it was magic! There are some pretty skirts out there, good luck!

    Sending you a smile,
    tp

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the land of "blog". I, too, come from a long, long line of Virginians although I am now truly beyond the Blue Ridge. All the way to Chicago. I do return to Virginia for two weeks in October for fall foliage and frolic! Firstly, don't toss your skirt. Dye it. Secondly, if you don't like rumpled (my mother always said re wrinkles in linen "frankly my dear, that's how you tell it's linen", go for the Garnet Hill. I've always had great success with them.

    So nice to meet you. Please stop by a visit me.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete