"To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one's Mother's side, is an Introduction to any state in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Above."

Monday, June 14, 2010

Smells Like a Monday #1 - Diorissimo

I love perfumes and perfumery, so I've decided that every Monday I'll write a little bit about a scent that I love. For my first entry, I've chosen a real classic - Christian Dior's Diorissimo. This perfume was launched in 1956. It's been reformulated a few times, but still smells absolutely lovely. This one is a creation of legendary perfumer Edmond Roudnitska, whom Helg discusses here far better than I ever could, and is one of the best lily of the valley scents out there. It's been beloved of debutantes and brides for generations, and was reportedly a favorite of Princess Diana.

Though lily of the valley is the main thing most of us smell when wearing Diorissimo, it actually has a rather complex formula of notes. In addition to the lily of the valley, there are greens, bergamot, calyx, jasmine, lilac, rosewood, sandalwood, and civet mixed in there which give the scent depth and a poignant, haunting quality. Though deceptively ethereal, it can have real lasting power on some people. It's the perfect thing to wear on your wedding day, or at a cotillion. I like to wear it when I'm wearing something pastel or softly floral, like a vintage Laura Ashley dress or perhaps something like this little number from Anthropologie:



Not only is Diorissimo feminine and lovely, it's a scent with a lot of memories for me. Many women in my family have worn it, and I've caught whiffs of it at almost every wedding, debutante cotillion and garden party I've ever attended. It's one of the few fresh and girly scents that also comes across as being both poised and elegant. It's the perfect gift for a dear friend's birthday or perhaps a bride-to-be. The packaging has changed slightly from what I have here (the pink and white on box are now reversed), but isn't it pretty?



Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I adore that dress! Anthropologie has such cute little summer dresses.

    ReplyDelete