"To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one's Mother's side, is an Introduction to any state in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Above."

Thursday, June 17, 2010

How Much is Too Much?


I'm a big believer in perfume. I just don't feel polished and "done" if I don't have a little dab of it on when I leave in the morning. However, I'm noticing a distressing number of people who seem to be marinating themselves in either Red Door or Angel. Personally, it wouldn't take much of either one to smother me in this heat, and these folks are not using just a little spritz here and there.

I was always taught that a lady's perfume should never enter the room before her. I also remember seeing my grandmother spray her perfume once and them walk through it. Personally, I can see some fragrances such as light citrus cologne needing a little more than just 1 walked-through little spray. There's a lot of ground between the single walk-through and the woman whose scent can be detected and identified by diners halfway across a crowded restaurant.

So, what do you think? How much perfume is just too much?

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. And I was taught the same thing about wearing it and that was by one of my grandfathers.
    Though I admit I forget it most days because I am in such a rush to get out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with soooo many people who didn't get the message about less is more. I can't stand getting on the elevator to come up to my office only to be engulfed by the smell of whatever fragrance the previous passenger was wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother sprays and walks through as well!

    What are your favorites to wear?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lexilooo I tend to rotate things depending on time of year. As hot as it gets in Virginia during the summer, I like really light scents. My favorites this time of year are probably Diorissimo, Eau Imperiale, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Pamplemousse, and mark Pure. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a firm 3 x a day perfumer. back of neck and then one spray that I walk thru
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete